Chiropractic Treatments – Old Vs New

Chiropractic care has been around for eons. Everyone has their own opinion of Chiropractic work. Some people swear by it; others detest it. You probably have a story or two of your own. When I was about 10 years old, I was at a public celebration and having a great time like all the other kids. That is, until I was injured. The thrilling bumpy ride I was on jostled the children up into the air a short distance over and over. The last thing I remember was being thrown too high, and the trailer came up as I came down. Then I couldn’t breathe. My fun was over in that instant.
A day or two went by, and my breathing became more and more painful. A deep breath was impossible. When my parents said they were going to take me to a chiropractor, I started to cry, but stopped immediately because even that was much too painful. I didn’t know what a Chiropractor was or what they did, and I was scared. Looking back, I’m grateful that they did something because every day my breath grew more shallow.402286631_o
I don’t remember the details other than the doctor left me under hot lights in a dark room for what seemed like forever. I don’t even remember how I was adjusted, but I do remember the relief of being able to breathe again. That experience gave me faith in Chiropractors.
I didn’t have a need to go again until sometime in my 20’s after a car accident. I was told that if the whiplash wasn’t taken care of then, it would come back 20 years later. I totally dismissed the whole idea. Now I’m convinced he was telling the truth. I’ve always had good relief from treatments, but when my fibromyalgia really kicked in, it seemed like I needed treatment after treatment. Nothing ever seemed to "hold". Any time I did something out of the ordinary, I paid for it by having so much body pain, that I had to go to the Chiropractor for an adjustment. It just seemed like a vicious cycle that wouldn’t end.
Fast forward 10 years. I did massage therapy for Chiropractors. The massage therapy was very effective for the people in pain. The only problem was that it increased MY pain. There was that terrible cycle again.
Fast forward again. Some new Chiropractors have extended training and a new philosophy. I learned that this type of care focuses on the nervous system rather than the back or spine. The nervous system controls the function of every cell, organ and system in the body, and "communicates" with those systems. If it is not communicating properly, then the muscles, organs and tissues begin to malfunction. This allows sickness and disease to develop. With fibromyalgia, the body is miscommunicating. So it sends an abnormal amount of pain signals to the brain.
Restoring function to the control center of the body, the brain stem, which is located in the atlas and axis or the first and second cervical vertebrae, sends healing messages to the body globally. Again, proper nervous system function, which means sending the proper messages to the rest of the body systems, allows the body to respond by healing itself.
Thermography is the latest and most accurate medical technology that objectively measures nervous system function. This is a temperature-sensitive instrument used by scanning over the spinal column, and shows on a computerized graph the areas of dysfunction in the nervous system. Also used is digital radiography for the most accurate and effective x-rays possible.
I told the doc my story from when I was 10, and mentioned that I thought my adrenals were out of whack, because I have lived a stressful life.
A few days later, as I sat with the doctor in his office to check out my results, and looking at my skeletal self, I mentioned that I was much better looking than I thought. (HA!) He pointed out the damage in my neck. The thermography also verified the problems in my neck, and not surprisingly, that my adrenals were indeed, out of whack! Very impressive.
This is not just an adjustment, it’s a plan for healing. Very, very impressive. I still have faith in Chiropractors.

No comments:

Post a Comment